Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP
Steve is chair of the firm's Tax, Benefits & Compensation Department and has served on various management and compensation committees. He has more than 35 years experience providing tax and business advice, especially for partnerships and other pass-through entities, including numerous private equity funds. He divides his practice between providing tax support for business law clients and representing developers, syndicators, and investors in real estate developments using federal and state tax credits and other tax incentives.
Steve has served as a visiting lecturer in real estate taxation and finance at Yale Law School and as an instructor in the Boston University Graduate Tax Program. He is also a former chair of the Committee on Real Estate of the American Bar Association Section of Taxation. In addition to his law degree, he has an L.L.M in Taxation. Steve has been included in the Massachusetts Super Lawyers
listing since 2006 by Thomson Reuters
- Tax credit counsel for the historic rehabilitation of The Waltham Watch Factory in Waltham, MA.
- Represented low-income housing tax credit investor in 80-20 projects in Newton, Massachusetts and in New York City.
- Represented historic tax credit investor in mill properties in Rhode Island.
- Represented the Boston Conservatory in the new markets tax credit financing of a new performing arts center.
- Served as tax counsel in the acquisition and syndication of Mission Park and the Victoria/Viviendas Apartments, some 1,200 apartments in Boston's Longwood Medical and South End Neighborhoods.
- Served as tax counsel for various investments by private equity funds in portfolio companies, especially portfolio companies organized as pass-through entities.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "NMTC Case Studies," panelist, 2013 New Markets Tax Credit Symposium, April 4, 2013.
- "Transforming Dudley Square: The Use of New Markets Tax Credits as a Municipal Finance Tool," presenter, Boston Tax Forum Meeting, December 3, 2012.
- "The New York Attorney General and Management Fee Waivers," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, September 2012.
- "Combining New Market Tax Credits and Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits," presenter, Reznick Group’s 11th Annual New Markets Tax Credit Summit, April 30 – May 2, 2012.
- "Master Lease Pass-Through Transactions: Authorities Concerning Treatment of Unamortized Credit at Exit," presenter, National Housing & Rehabilitation Association 2011 Summer Institute, July 23, 2011.
- "The Low-Income Housing Tax Credit," author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP White Paper, April 2012.
- "Are You Leaving Money on the Table: Everything a Tax-Exempt Organization Needs to Know About New Markets Tax Credits," presenter, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Webinar, September 14, 2010.
- "New Market Tax Credits," presenter, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge webinar, April 6, 2010.
- "Economic Substance Doctrine Codified in the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 - Business Transactions Subject to New Standards to Obtain Tax Benefits and Avoid Penalties," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP Client Advisory, March 2010.
- "Rehabilitation Tax Credits," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge White Paper, February 2010.
- "Sustainable Development," panel moderator, ABA Forum in Housing and Community Development, October 2009.
- "Special Procedure for Filing Delinquent Foreign Bank and Financial Account Reporting Requirements Due September 23, 2009," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP Client Advisory, September 2009.
- "Foreign Bank and Financial Account Reporting Requirements for June 30, 2009," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP Client Advisory, June 2009.
- "Preservation by Donation: Tax Issues in Bargain Sale Transactions," co-author, Journal of Affordable Housing, Summer 2009.
- "Closing in on Taxation of Carried Interest," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP Client Advisory, May 2009.
- "Low Income Housing Tax Credit Highlights from the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Client Advisory, October 2008.
- "State of Rhode Island Considers Limiting use of Historic Preservation Tax Credits," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Client Advisory, January 23, 2008.