Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP
Laurie practices in the area of insurance and reinsurance. She advises insurers, reinsurers, and other companies in the insurance industry on issues involving coverage, claims handling, and bad faith exposures, as well as on risk management issues. When litigation is necessary, she represents her clients in state and federal courts. She also represents clients in arbitrations, mediations and other dispute resolution proceedings.
Laurie is a member of the Firm's Privacy & Data Protection Group Steering Committee. Edwards Wildman's Privacy & Data Protection Group is nationally recognized in the 2012 US Legal 500
and the 2012 Chambers & Partners USA Guide
. She advises clients on privacy, data breach and cyber risk exposures and claims, and on related insurance issues. She is co-author of the Firm's white paper, "Everyone's Nightmare: Privacy and Data Breach Risks," which is regularly updated. Laurie has been included in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 New York - Metro Super Lawyers
listings by Thomson & Reuters
- Laurie regularly advises insurers on complex coverage issues, negotiates resolution of coverage disputes and litigates coverage actions.
- Laurie regularly advises clients on cyber risk and data breach exposures, breach response, and liability and insurance coverage issues including those arising out of zip code litigation, payment card branch claims, and other privacy related claims.
- Laurie acts as coordinating counsel on extra-contractual claims, counsels insurers on bad faith exposures, provides risk management advice to insurers on managing their exposures to extra contractual liability, and defends insurers against allegations of bad faith and unfair claims handling.
- Laurie represents insurance and reinsurance companies as to issues arising from natural disasters such as hurricanes and earthquakes, as well as other catastrophic events such as September 11, 2001 and cyber attacks.
- Laurie frequently consults with insurers and reinsurers on their development of new forms and drafts policies and endorsements.
- Laurie counsels companies on aviation and aerospace insurance issues.
- Laurie advises clients on liability and coverage issues arising in the health care context, and earlier in her legal career regularly defended health care institutions and professionals in defense of malpractice claims.
- Laurie defends professional liability and general liability lawsuits involving significant damages and complex liability issues.
- Laurie guides insurers in their compliance with the Terrorism Risk Insurance Act of 2002, the Extension Act of 2005, and the Terrorism Risk Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2007.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "Issue Spotting the Marathon Bombings - A Look at Potential Claims and Implicated Coverages," co-author, Claims Management Magazine, May 7, 2013.
- "Hot Topics in Coverage B," speaker, DRI 2013 Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, April 12, 2013.
- "Regulators are Expressing Heightened Interest in Mobile Apps and Privacy Enforcement: Is Your Company Prepared?,” co-Author, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, April 2013.
- Master Workshop: "Everyone’s Nightmare: Privacy and Data Breach Risks," speaker, LMA Lloyd's Market Academy Masterclass, February 8, 2013.
- "Everyone’s Nightmare: Privacy and Data Breach Risks," speaker, International Underwriting Association, February 5, 2013.
- "A Storm Named Sandy," presenter, Edwards Wildman Palmer seminar, New York, January 17, 2013.
- "When Sandy Became a Superstorm But Not a Hurricane: The Effect on Deductibles," co-author, Edwards Wildman Insurance and Reinsurance Review, January 2013.
- Co-Chair C5’s Data Protection, Cyber Risk and Information Security Conference, London, October 2012, and panelist on “Born in the USA: Current Lessons from the Home of Cyber Risk Insurance to Improve Your European Policies.”
- "Negotiating and Drafting Specialized Cyber Risk Provisions and Policies to Cover Data Loss Arising from Cloud Computing," speaker, American Conference Institute's Cyber & Data Risk Insurance Forum, September 2012.
- "Not Kidding About Protecting Kids' Data - FTC Puts Forth More Changes to Proposed Children's Privacy Rules," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, August 14, 2012.
- "Everyone's Nightmare: Privacy and Data Breaches," co-presenter, Edwards Wildman's 11th Annual Half-Day Insurance and Reinsurance Seminar, New York, June 13, 2012.
- "US Data Protection: Under Close Scrutiny," co-author, Bermuda Captive Magazine, June 2012.
- “Big Brother Is Online And A Rising Risk For Insurers,” co-author, Law360, March 29, 2012.
- "Online Behavioral Advertising/Tracking Litigation: A Rising Risk Facing Insurers and Insureds," co-author, Edwards Wildman Insurance and Reinsurance Review, March 2012.
- “An interview with Edwards Wildman,” interviewee, concerning privacy and data protection practice and developments, The Monthly Lawyer, March 2012.
- "Everyone's Nightmare: Privacy and Data Breach Risks," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer White Paper, 2012.
- "March 1 Deadline for Companies and Vendors with Massachusetts Personal Information," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, January 2012.
- "Getting the Deal Through," co-author, USA analysis chapter, Insurance and Reinsurance, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- "Foreseeable and Reasonable Mitigation Costs Can Constitute Cognizable Injury from a Data Breach - At Least Under Maine Law," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, October 2011.
- “Public Companies May Need to Disclose their Exposure to Material Cyber Security Risks According to New Guidance Issued by SEC Division of Corporation Finance,” co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, October 2011.
- "Market Scan: Available Products, Scope of Coverage and Typical Terms,” speaker, C5 Forum on Data Risk, Cyber and Network Security Insurance, September 20, 2011, London, United Kingdom.
- “Data Breaches at Home and Abroad: This Can Mean You Too!,” panelist, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Webinar, July 14, 2011.
- “Data Breaches at Home and Abroad: This Can Mean You Too!,” panelist, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Seminar, June 21, 2011.
- "Everyone's Nightmare: Privacy and Data Breach Risks," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP White Paper, 2011.
- Mock Trial, presenter, CLM 2nd Annual Litigation Management Conference, Bermuda, October 20, 2010.
- "Assessing What a Breach and a Resulting Claim is Really Worth," panelist, 4th National Advanced Forum on Cyber & Data Risk Insurance, September 27 - 28, 2010.
- "Dealing with Data Breaches: Legal, Practical, and Financial Issues," speaker, Massachusetts Health Data Consortium Seminar, September 17, 2010.
- "Every Company's Nightmare: Privacy and Data Breach Risks," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP White Paper, 2010.
- "A New Exposure of the Information Age: Data Breaches of Personal Information," co-author, Journal of Reinsurance, Spring 2010.
- "Data Protection Challenges for Bank Insurance Programs in the U.S.: New and Upcoming Deadlines and Exposures," speaker, American Bankers Insurance Association Teleconference, March 11, 2010.
- "Every Company's Nightmare: Privacy and Data Breach Risks," speaker, program presented by ACG of Greater New York and Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP, New York, September 22, 2009.
- Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Insurance & Reinsurance Seminar, speaker on Privacy and Data Protection Risks, Bermuda: June 22, 2009, New York: June 24, 2009 and Boston: June 26, 2009.
- "Consequential Damages: New Developments in New York Case Law Regarding an Insured's Right to Recover Extra Contractual Damages," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Insurance and Reinsurance Review, March 2009.
- "An Insured's Right to Recover Consequential Damages Against its Insurer Under New York Law: Will It Be the Exception or the Norm?," co-author, Insurance Advocate, February 9, 2009.
- "Does the Reservation of an Insurer's Right to Recoup Defense Costs Actually Entitle an Insurer to Recoupment?" co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Insurance and Reinsurance Review, December 2008.
- "New York's Longstanding 'No Prejudice' Rule is Overturned," co-author, International Law Office, September 28, 2008.
- "New York's Reversal of Its Long-Standing "No-Prejudice" Rule and Its Expansion of Rights of Direct Action Against Insurers: How Broad Is Their Effect?," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Insurance and Reinsurance Review, September 2008.
- "Discovery of Coverage Counsel Opinions and Work Product in Bad Faith Litigations," speaker and conference moderator, Lorman Insurance Bad Faith Seminar, December 5, 2007 and December 4, 2008.
- "The Eroding Privilege of an Insurer's Communications with Its Coverage Counsel," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Insurance and Reinsurance Update, June 2007.
- "Preparing for Catastrophes: Legal and Insurance Issues to Consider," moderator of PLI panel, June 5, 2006.
- "The TRIA Extension Act of 2005," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Insurance and Reinsurance Update, March 2006.
- "The World Trade Center Trial's Two Occurrence Verdict: How Far-Reaching Is Its Effect?" Edwards & Angell Insurance & Reinsurance Update, March 2005.
- "TRIA's Impending Sunset," Edwards & Angell Insurance & Reinsurance Update, Summer 2004.
- "TRIA Revisited: Will Insureds be Adequately Covered After Sunset?", co-author, Insurance Risk, May 2004.
- "September 11 - US Legal Developments Reach the Critical Path," co-author, Insurance and Reinsurance Law Briefing, Issue 89, March 2004.
- "September 11th: The Continuing Conundrum of the Number of Occurrences," Mealey's Litigation Report: Insurance, October 21, 2003.
- "The Role of Punitive Damages in Insurance Coverage Disputes: Point and Counterpoint," co-author, Excess Surplus Lines, Summer 2003.
- ABA's National Legal Malpractice Conference, Panel on Managing Technology Before It Manages You, September 2003 Conferences; accompanying paper: "E-Mail Alert: Pitfalls of Electronic Communications."
- ACI Runoff & Commutations Conference, Panel on "Managing Run-Off Claims: Lessons Learned, Current Trends and Projections for the Future," November 2002 Conference.
- Cambridge Reinsurance Symposium, "Recent Developments in Coverage Litigation Arising from September 11," November 2002 Conference.
- Excess/Surplus Lines Annual Conference, "Reinsurance Issues Arising from September 11," September 2002 Conference.
- Reinsurance Association of America, Life Reinsurance Conference, WTC Roundtable, February 2002 Conference.
- "Mold Update: A Musty Year for Insurers," Journal of Reinsurance, Fall 2002.
- "World Trade Centre: Who Will Foot The Bill," Reinsurance, August 2002.
- "Waiver Ratification and Estoppel in Reinsurance Disputes: When Can a Reinsurer Lose A Defense Before It Is Even Asserted?," Journal of Reinsurance, Spring 2002.
- "Responses to Reinsurance Issues Arising from September 11," For The Defense, January 2002.
- "Issues Facing the Insurance and Reinsurance Industry in the Wake of September 11, 2001," Mealey's Litigation Report, November 2001.