Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP
Alex represents insurance and reinsurance carriers and other business entities in a wide variety of complex claims and coverage matters, as well as commercial disputes. A trial lawyer, Alex counsels his clients in matters that could develop into litigation and provides full representation before state and federal trial and appellate courts, as well as arbitration and mediation proceedings. Super Lawyers
has recognized Alex as a Massachusetts Rising Star since 2008. He is functionally conversant in French.
- Alex secured a favorable result for a reinsurance client in the arbitration of a complex property damage case, which involved bad faith claims under Massachusetts law.
- Alex successfully briefed and argued a case a first impression involving franchise rights for a business litigation client before the New Hampshire Supreme Court.
- Alex has selected and worked closely with environmental and construction experts to develop reports for use in complex insurance coverage disputes.
- Alex has negotiated and successfully implemented coverage-in-place agreements for complex liability insurance claims.
- Alex has successfully litigated insurance coverage matters and product liability cases in the state and federal courts of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and New York.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- InsureReinsure.com (Insurance & Reinsurance Blog), Contributor.
- “Coverage for ‘Additional Insureds’ Under Subcontractor Liability Policies,” co-author, Westlaw Journal Insurance Coverage, Volume 23, Issue 29, April 26, 2013.
- "Preparing for Contingent Business Interruption Claims in the Wake of Superstorm Sandy," co-author, Mealey's Litigation Report: Catastrophic Loss, Vol.8, No. 5, February 2013.
- "US Treatment of Extra Expense Claims," co-presenter with Joshua Broudy, Edwards Wildman Insurance and Reinsurance Webinar, October 25, 2012.
- "Mass. Court Shows Little Patience For Exchange Act Claim," author, Law360, October 23, 2012.
- "Understanding Extra Expense Insurance Coverage - 2012 Update," co-presenter with Joshua Broudy, West LegalEdcenter (R), May 24, 2012.
- "Cleaning Up in the Wake of a Ponzi Scheme: Insurance Coverage for Financial Crime Claims," co-author, Bloomberg Law, February 27, 2012.
- "The Strategic Importance of Rule 24: Judicious Use of Intervention to Assist in the Resolution of Insurance Coverage Cases," co-author with Marc Voses, Insurance and Reinsurance Review, September 2011.
- "How to Beat an Insurance Exclusion", quoted, Bank Safety & Soundness Advisor, February 21, 2011.
- "Understanding Extra Expense," co-author with William N. Erickson, TORT TRIAL & INSURANCE PRACTICE LAW JOURNAL (Vol. 45-1), Fall 2009.
- "California Clarifies Indemnitor's Duty to Defend," co-author with Mary-Pat Cormier, TORT TRIAL & INSURANCE PRACTICE - PROFESSIONALS', OFFICERS' & DIRECTORS' LIABILITY COMMITTEE NEWSLETTER (Summer 2010).
Before Edwards Wildman
Before joining the firm, Alex focused his practice on insurance coverage work with a small firm in New York and with the Boston office of Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P. He also provided broad representation to clients in commercial contract disputes and securities law matters. While in law school, Alex was an executive articles editor for The Georgetown Law Journal
Besides Edwards Wildman
Alex serves as general secretary of the Massachusetts Reinsurance Bar Association, as well as chair of MReBA's newsletter committee. He is also a member of the executive board of the Massachusetts chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
Outside of the law, Alex is an active member of the community. He is the immediate past president of the Georgetown Club of Boston, and is an interviewer for Georgetown University's undergraduate admissions office. Since 1997, Alex has also served as an instructor and member of staff at the American Legion's Boys State program in New Hampshire.