Preparing for the Employee Free Choice Act
July 14, 2009
Edwards Wildman Speakers:
Barbara A. Lee
The Employee Free Choice Act (EFCA) legislation, which proposes to eliminate secret ballot elections in union organizing efforts, will have far reaching ramifications. Employee unions presently enjoy a 66 percent win-rate in NLRB elections and it is expected that the Act will sharply increase the success of employee organizing attempts.
On July 14, 2009 Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP held a complimentary webinar designed to help employers understand the impact that EFCA will have on unionization throughout the US and on their business. The following topics were addressed:
- The political landscape surrounding EFCA and its current status
- What management needs to know about union organizing: do’s and don’ts
- How the EFCA would change the law
- What the “card check” is and how it will work
- What the mediation/arbitration requirements are
- What the penalties are for unfair labor practices
- How employers can prepare
Barbara A. Lee, counsel in our Madison, NJ office, and Marc L. Zaken, a partner in our Stamford office, were the speakers for this event.
A recording of the full program can be found at the link below.