Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP
Tel +44 (0) 20 7556 4188
Fax +44 (0) 20 7716 3728
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
Ben has authored numerous articles and given many presentations, including:
- "Tax, Technology and TV - Legal Developments in the Creative Sector", Edwards Wildman seminar, May 2013.
- "Comparing Contract Drafting in the United States and United Kingdom" co-author, Entertainment Law & Finance, May 2013.
- "New security for sub-licensees?" co-author, The In-House Lawyer, April 2013.
- "Patent by numbers", quoted, The Lawyer, January 2013.
- "Big Data in the Healthcare/ BioPharma sector: Emerging Issues", speaker, Edwards Wildman INTERAction Technology Law Update, London, October 2012.
- "IP Strategies for Copyright Owners in a World Where Everything is Digital," moderator, International IP Strategists Association's Webinar, April 2012.
- "Court of Justice rules a database of football fixture lists does not attract copyright protection: Football Dataco & Others v Yahoo & Others," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, March 2012.
- “A Guide to the UNICITRAL IP Annex,” author, MARQUES newsletter, Issue 17, January 23, 2012.
- “European Commission Kicks Off Technology Transfer Block Exemption Consultation Process,” co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, December 2011.
- “A Database of Fixture Lists Does Not Benefit From Copyright Protection Says Attorney General Mengozzi: Football Dataco v Yahoo,” co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, December 2011.
- "Online Behavioural Advertising: EU Compliance Update for 2012," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, December 2011.
- “How to Use IP in Secured Transactions,” co-author, Managing IP Magazine, October 2011.
- "Data Protection and Privacy: An Insight from Within," co-presenter with Suzanne Rodway NBC Universal, IP INTERAction eCommerce: Intellectual Property and the Internet Conference, September 2011.
- “The Use of Website Cookies: Changes to UK Law,” co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Client Advisory.
- "Ensure your IP Strategy Matches your Corporate Strategy,” speaker, Commercialising Innovation: IP Exploitation Strategies presented by the M4 Innovation Network.
- "New IP Association Focuses on Strategic Approaches," quoted, National Law Journal.
- "Biosimilars: An Overview of IP & Regulatory Issues and Recent Transactions," presentation to BIT Life Sciences' 3rd Annual Inernational Congress of Antibodies, Beijing.
- "China: Protectionist Bad Guy or Political Fall Guy?," quoted, IAM Magazine.
- "Managing Your IP to Create Sources of Value," author, of chapter, The Innovation Handbook, published by UK IP Office.
- "IP: The Landscape of Change in China," presentation to Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys, London.
- "IP Agreements as Part of Intellectual Asset Management," presentation to CLT conference.
- "Licensing IP Rights and Contract Negotiation in China," presentation to IBC Conference.
- "IP Financing - Implications of the UNCITRAL Process," author, WIPO magazine.
- "Managing Historic Brands," co-author, MARQUES newsletter.
- "Libraries in the Internet and the Electronic Age," co-author, EIPR.
- "Trade Mark Management in Difficult Times," co-author, MARQUES newsletter.
- "Anatomy of an IP Lobbying Campaign," author, IAM Magazine.
- "Intellectual Property Financing – An introduction," author, Finance Director Europe.
Before Edwards Wildman
Ben was for 13 years a partner and Head of IP Commercialisation at an international IP specialist firm. For two years of that time he lived and worked in Shanghai and managed the China business of his firm. Prior to that he was at firms in Oxford, and the City of London. He spent part of the early part of his career trying his hand at public international law in Paris.
Ben is a past president of the Licensing Executives Society of Great Britain and Ireland
and a member of both the IP Committee of the China Britain Business Council
and the editorial advisory board of Global IP Asset Management Report
. He is one of the founders of the International IP Strategists Association
(INTIPSA). He also founded the Thames Valley Branch of the Society for Computers and Law
Besides Edwards Wildman
Ben is married to Philippa and they have three children, none of whom show the slightest sign of being interested in pursuing a career in the law. His main passions when not at work are: architecture (this borders on obsession; at University he was President of the Architectural Society); playing his bassoon; writing a horror short story each Halloween; and drawing / painting.