Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP
Tel +44 (0) 20 7556 4168
Fax +44 (0) 20 7556 3832
Damian is a partner in the Regulatory and Transactional Services team of the firm’s Insurance and Reinsurance Department. He advises on a wide range of corporate, commercial and regulatory matters, with a particular focus on mergers and acquisitions in the insurance and reinsurance industry where he has acted for insurers, reinsurers, brokers, intermediaries and other financial services companies in the UK, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and the US. In addition, Damian has experience of restructuring solutions in both the live and the run-off insurance markets, and has advised clients in relation to transfers of insurance business and solvent schemes of arrangement, often with cross-border implications. Damian has also acted for insurance carriers and other financial institutions in connection with alternative risk transfers and ILS.
Damian has recently represented:
- ABRY Partners LLP, a US private equity investment firm, in relation to a Warranty & Indemnity insurance policy brokered by Willis and underwritten by AIG in support of the firm's acquisition of a controlling interest in Thomson Online Benefits, a UK benefits administration solutions company.
- AmWINS Group, Inc. on the UK regulatory aspects of its recapitalisation project by which shareholder Parthenon Capital Partners, together with management and employee shareholders, transferred ownership to AmWINS' new long-term partner, New Mountain Capital. The deal valued AmWINS at approximately US$1.3 billion.
- AmWINS Group, Inc. in its £32 million recommended takeover, by way of a scheme of arrangement, of THB Group plc.
- Global General and Reinsurance Company Limited on its capital reduction and share buyback programme.
- DE Shaw in its 50/50 joint venture with Reliance Industries intending to create India’s leading financial services group.
- AIG in its aborted $35.5 billion sale of AIA Group Limited (Hong Kong) to Prudential plc.
- AIG in the sale of Nan Shan, its Taiwanese life insurance business.
- Hardy Underwriting Bermuda Limited in its joint venture in Bahrain with Arab Insurance Group.
- First Reserve Corporation in its co-insurance arrangements at Lloyd’s with CV Starr.
- Swiss Re in its €800 million securitisation programme for the provision of multi-year and multi-peril reinsurance to Groupama.
- Aetna in its acquisition of Goodhealth Worldwide (Bermuda) Limited from Primary Group Limited.
- The shareholders of Lloyd's broker Humphreys Haggas Sutton & Co Ltd on its sale to Integro Limited.
- La Mutuelle du Mans Assurances (France) in its solvent scheme of arrangement.
- Scottish Eagle Insurance Company in its solvent scheme of arrangement.
- Cigna S.E. on the transfer to it of ACE European Group's property and casualty business under Part VII of FSMA.
Before Edwards Wildman
Damian trained at Eversheds in London before moving to Ince & Co in 2000. He later worked in both the London and Moscow offices of Debevoise & Plimpton, where he was for four years before joining Edwards Wildman Palmer as a partner in March 2011.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Damian enjoys sports, music, comedy, art and travel.