Rory Radding is a member of the Edwards Wildman's Intellectual Property group. He has litigated diverse patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret cases, acting for both plaintiffs and defendants, involving LED lighting and lighting systems, plastic manufacture, electrochemical devices, ring laser gyroscopes, avionics, medical devices, communications, pharmaceuticals, computer controllers, data compression, impact sensors, bicycles, candy, wine, jewelry, personal consumer products, television commercials, and vehicle tires; to name a few. Mr. Radding is recognized in The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, The International Who’s Who of Information Technology Lawyers, The Who's Who Legal: Technology Media & Telecommunications Lawyers, New York Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America.
- Lead trial counsel before several federal trial and appellate courts including the district courts for New York, California, Connecticut, Colorado, Delaware, Illinois, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, the U.S. Court of Appeals (for the Second, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, and Federal Circuits), and the United States Supreme Court
- Litigated before the United States International Trade Commission (ITC) in the fields of chemical catalysis, video games, electric switches, chemiluminescence, tractors, bar code readers, blu-ray players, and vehicle tires
- Negotiated cross-border transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, the establishment of joint ventures, international and domestic technology transfer, including licensing, as well as collaborative research agreements and equity financing
- Developed global intellectual property strategies, including prosecution, licensing, and enforcement strategies involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets including a complete global strategy for several telecommunications and Internet-related companies, and a consortium of worldwide banks concerning security for e-commerce
- Tried and obtained a general exclusion order on behalf of Kubota Corporation and a $2.3 million fine in a case of first impression before the ITC involving parallel imports of used Japanese tractors
- Negotiated a multimillion dollar alliance between a large pharmaceutical company and a small start-up biotechnology discovery company
- Lead trial counsel for defendant in Marchese d/b/a JDS Digital Security Systems, LLC v. Milestone Systems Inc. concerning patents related to video surveillance systems
- Lead trial counsel in for defendant in TQP Development, LLC v. Onkyo U.S.A. Corporation involving patents related to encryption technology
- Lead counsel for plaintiff in Ritani, LLC v. Harout Aghjayan, et al. involving trademark, copyright infringement, unfair competition, misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of fiduciary duty and covenants not to compete in the engagement ring jewelry industry
- Lead counsel for plaintiff Buccellati, Inc., et al. v. Laura Buccellati, et al. concerning unfair competition and infringement of mark “Buccellati” for fashion accessories
- Lead counsel for plaintiff in Victorinox Swiss Army, Inc., et al. v. B&F Systems concerning unfair competition, infringement and counterfeit of trademark on the Swiss Army red-handled knife
- Lead counsel for plaintiff in Victorinox Swiss Army, Inc., et al. v. First SBF Holding, Inc., et al. concerning infringement of the Swiss Army trademarks and designs for watches
- Lead trial counsel in Philips Solid-State Lighting Solutions, Inc. v. Lighting Science Group Corp., LED Holdings, LLC, and LED Effects, Inc. involving LED lighting patents and technology
- Lead trial counsel for Intermec Technologies Corporation against Symbol Technologies in the ITC involving hand-held bar code scanners
- Lead trial counsel in Lighting Science Group Corporation, LED Holdings, LLC and LED Effects, Inc. v. Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V., Philips Electronics North America Corporation and Philips Solid-State Lighting Solutions, Inc. as successor to Color Kinetics for unfair competition involving LED lighting systems
- Lead trial counsel for defendant On-Net Surveillance Systems, Inc. in Joao Control & Monitoring Systems, LLC v. ACTI Corporation Inc , et al. involving remote monitoring and control of vehicles and security systems
- Lead trial counsel for respondents South China Tire and Rubber Co., Ltd. and Guangzhou South China Tire and Rubber Co., Ltd. In the Matter of Certain Tires and Products Containing Same before the United States International Trade Commision
- Lead trial counsel for respondents Orion America, Inc. and Orion Electric Co., Ltd. In the Matter of Certain Blu-Ray Disc Players, Components Thereof and Products Containing Same before the United States International Trade Commission
- Lead trial counsel for Onkyo USA Corporation in In the Matter of Certain Handheld Electronic Computing Devices, Related Software and Components Thereof before the United States International Trade Commission
- Lead trial counsel in Kirin Brewery Limited, Inc. v. Merix Bioscience, Inc. involving cell therapy technology
- Counsel for Nycomed involving respiratory disease technology
- Appellate counsel before the Federal Circuit in the $1.2 billion jury case, Litton Systems, Inc. v. Honeywell, Inc.
- Appellate counsel before the Federal Circuit for the $70 million jury patent case in Celeritas Technologies Inc. v. Rockwell International Corporation
- Lead trial counsel in Carol’s Daughter Holdings, LLC v. Carol’s Express LLC, CVS Pharmacy, Inc., Turns and Trends, Inc., and Donyale Jermaine Bush involving infringement of trademarks and trade dress
- Lead trial counsel in Kirin Brewery Limited, Inc. v. Geron Corporation involving cell therapy technology
- Represented Kirin Brewery in negotiating a global collaboration with Merix Bioscience on the research, development and commercialization of cell therapy technology
- Represented Kirin Brewery in its multi-million dollar acquisition of Hematech which researches, develops and produces human polyclonal antibodies in cloned cows
- Appellate counsel for plaintiff in Erchonia Corp. v. Meridian Medical, Inc., et al. concerning trademark infringement involving lipo laser medical devices
- Lead trial counsel for plaintiff ICU Medical, Inc. v. Rymed Technologies, Inc. concerning infringement of patents for needleless IV connectors.
Before Edwards Wildman
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Radding was head of the Intellectual Property practice in New York for Morrison & Foerster. Prior to that he was a senior partner at Pennie & Edmonds, where he practiced for 30 years. Prior to his legal career, Mr. Radding was a pharmaceutical chemist at Wellcome Research Laboratory, and an environmental chemist at Union Carbide Corporation.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Rory enjoys running, sailing, tennis, drawing, singing and traveling.