Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP
Tom Bush is a Partner in Edwards Wildman's Insurance and Reinsurance Department and is currently Co-Chair of the Firm's Antitrust/Competition Practice Group. He has extensive experience in complex litigation, antitrust and insurance matters. In particular, Tom has been very actively involved in the representation of significant Japanese and other companies and clients in the global insurance and reinsurance industry and is currently representing the interests of Japanese-based insurers on issues and arbitrations related to large scale events in the United States. Tom is also representing and counseling a variety of other antitrust and commercial matters for domestic companies in the manufacturing, investment and food service industries.
- In re Insurance Brokerage Antitrust Litigation, (District Court of New Jersey) Defending Alterra Capital against antitrust and RICO claims against major insurance companies and brokers, arising out of the investigations of the insurance industry by the attorney general of New York
- Representing a large insurance company in arbitration and litigation involving property damage and business loss claims at the World Trade Center
- Representation of leading life reinsurer in multiple arbitrations and litigation
- Successfully represented an international insurance company in litigation and arbitration arising out of the collapse of the world’s largest aviation reinsurance pool
- Represented several corporate executives in grand jury investigations involving possible antitrust law violations
- Represented numerous global reinsurance companies in major arbitrations
- Served as a law clerk to Chief Judge Collins J. Seitz, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "A Warning on the Antitrust Risks in Private Equity Collaboration," author, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, March 2013.
- "Dodging Antitrust/Competition During Claims Collaboration," author, Law360, September 18, 2012.
- "The Problem of Consolidated Arbitrations," author, Mealey's Litigation Report: Reinsurance, July 20, 2012.
- "United States Department of Justice Chapter," an extract from the 2012 Handbook of Competition Enforcement Agencies - a Global Competition Review special report.
- “Solvent Schemes Come to America,” Law 360, June 8, 2011
- “The US Federal Trade Commission Attempts to Expand a Monopolist’s Duty to Deal with Rivals,” Competition Law Insight, 2010
- “Back to the Future in US Antitrust Enforcement: Refusals to Cooperate with Competitors,” Competition Law Insight, 2009
- “US Antitrust Liability and an Evolving China,” Competition Law 360, 2009
- Tightening the Requirements for Price-fixing Class Actions,” Client Bulletin, 2009
- “A Question of Disclosure: The European Commission Needs to Reconsider its Position on US Privilege Rules,” Competition Law Insight, 2008
- “No Pressure: Whether Subscription Insurance Markets Present US Antitrust Risks,” Global Reinsurance, 2008
- “Understanding the Antitrust Risks with Reverse Payment Settlements in Pharmaceutical Patent Infringement Cases,” Pharmaceutical Commerce, 2008
- “Coming to America: Enforcing Claims Under European Competition Laws in a US Court,” Competition Law Insight, 2008