Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP
Mark Durbin is a partner in the Litigation Department of Edwards Wildman. Mark’s practice focuses on resolving intellectual property and complex commercial disputes for national and international clients, both in and out of court. Mark defends and prosecutes intellectual property and business disputes, class actions and product liability claims in state and federal courts across the country. He has tried cases involving patent infringement, theft of trade secrets, breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, covenants not to compete, product liability, and other tort claims, and has arbitrated distributorship, real estate, and personal injury cases. Outside the courtroom, Mark counsels clients on ways to avoid disputes and avoid potential liability. A business-focused outside counsel, Mark combines the highest quality legal representation with the most dedicated commitment to client service. Held in high esteem by his colleagues and clients, Mark was selected to appear in Chicago Lawyer
and Chicago Daily Law Bulletin’s
prestigious “40 Under Forty” list—a compilation of Illinois’ finest young attorneys—and has been repeatedly selected as an Illinois Super Lawyer by Law & Politics
- Prosecutes and defends claims for patent infringement, copyright infringement, patent infringement, and theft of trade secrets
- Prosecutes and defends commercial disputes involving a wide-variety of topics, such as breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, distributorship disputes, shareholder disputes, covenants not to compete and defamation
- Defends businesses in class actions around the United States, with a particular focus on consumer fraud, consumer protection, false advertising and breach of warranty claims
- Seeks and obtains special remedies on behalf of clients in need of emergency relief, such as temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions, along with related specialized procedures at the trial and appellate court levels
- Counsels clients on issues related to their customer and supplier relationships, contract terms and conditions, advertising practices and business process improvements to reduce potential exposure
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
Speaker, “RFQ Best Practices: A Legal Perspective,” Client CLE Seminar, Libertyville, Illinois, 2011.
- Speaker, "Protecting Privileged Communications," Client CLE Seminar, Libertyville, Illinois, 2011.
- Moderator and Panelist, "Setting and Managing Litigation Budgets," Network of Trial Law Firms CLE Seminar, Naples, Florida, 2011.
- Moderator and Panelist, “Making the Tough Calls in Litigation: When to Fight, When to Settle, When to Defer,” Association of Corporate Counsel CLE Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, 2011.
- Moderator and Panelist, "Negotiating Agreements to Minimize Future Litigation," Client CLE, Chicago, Illinois, 2010.
- Speaker, “Battle of the Forms: U.C.C. 2-207,” Lorman Education Services CLE Webinar, Chicago, Illinois, 2010.
- Speaker, “Setting and Managing Litigation Budgets,” Association of Corporate Counsel CLE Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, 2010.
- Speaker, “When Good Suppliers Go Bad: Bankruptcy Issues and Responsive Strategies,” Client CLE Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, 2009.
- Speaker, “Battle of the Forms: U.C.C. 2-207,” Client CLE Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, 2008.
- Speaker, “Incidental and Consequential Damages: Back to the Basics,” Client CLE Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, 2007.
- Speaker, “Recent Developments in Jurisdiction, Forum Non Conveniens, and Choice of Law,” Illinois State Bar Association, CLE Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, 2007.
- Speaker, Class Actions, “3rd National In-House Counsel Conference on Defending and Managing Complex Litigation,” Atlanta, Georgia, 2006.
- Speaker and Panelist, “Evaluating Outside Counsel,” Best Practices in Outside Counsel Partnership Management, Chicago, Illinois, 2006.