Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP
Tel +44 (0) 20 7556 4484
Fax +44 (0) 20 7716 3675
Joel Marris joined the Firm in 2011 and has been a trainee in the Business Law Department since March 2013. His work focuses on private equity and venture capital.
The London VC team supports entrepreneurs, early stage businesses and angel investors through the Firm's HIT Programme which defers legal fees for innovative business until such time as they raise significant finance or generate revenues and by offering start-up clients access to free software that enables them to write their own legal business documentation; to view please click here. We also support those that support entrepreneurs through our sponsorship and hosting of sponsoring various Angels Den events.
Joel was seconded to one of the world's leading online retailers for six months in September 2012. During this time, Joel:
Insurance and Reinsurance
Joel's second seat was in the Firm's Insurance and Reinsurance Department, where he:
conducted detailed legal research at the pre-action stage of an asbestos-related insurance litigation; and
assisted with an extensive disclosure exercise in an arbitration between a pharmaceutical business and its insurer.
Antitrust / Competition Law
Joel's first seat was in the Firm's Antitrust / Competition Law Department, where he acted for retail and sports clients on a range of work including:
a review of national competition authorities' pre-merger clearance thresholds;
advising on competition issues arising from a negotiated public procurement process; and
conducting a data room process for the European Commission in connection with an investigation under Article 101 TFEU.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- 'Supreme Court gives guidance on striking out exaggerated statements of case – Summers v Fairclough Homes Limited  UKSC 26', co-author, Insurance and Reinsurance Review, August 2012.
- 'Joint Law Commissions Publish Their Final Consultation on Business Insurance', co-author, Insurance and Reinsurance Review, August 2012.
- 'LIBOR and the EU: did the banks collude to manipulate the rate?', author, lawcareers.net, July 2012
- 'Satellite decoder case runs into extra time – Football Association Premier League Ltd & others v QC Leisure and others EWHC 108 (Ch)', co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP Client Advisory, February 2012.
- 'Court of Appeal denies rescission of transfer of land for breach of contract', co-author, The In-House Lawyer, February 2012.
- 'CJEU sends clear message that luxury brands cannot prevent retailers selling online', co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP Client Advisory, October 2011.
Before Edwards Wildman
Joel studied English and French at the University of Leeds, which included a year teaching English in France. He graduated in 2008 before completing the GDL and LPC in Manchester.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Joel enjoys keeping active by participating in long-distance running events and playing tennis.