Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP
Tel +44 (0) 20 7556 4533
Fax +44 (0) 20 7716 3628
Akash Sachdeva joined Edwards Wildman in 2011 as a Partner. He is a qualified barrister, having trained in the IP specialist Chambers of Christopher Floyd QC. He has over 13 years of experience in intellectual property litigation including acting for Research In Motion on patent litigation matters in the English High Court, acting for BSkyB in a case involving the importation of foreign decoder cards, acting for a major defense contractor in an arbitration involving confidential information and acting for a major Chinese telecoms company in proceedings in Hong Kong and China.
He also has had significant experience in international arbitration having acted in ICC, AAA and LCIA arbitration disputes.
Akash is recognised for intellectual property in the latest 2013 edition of Chambers Global.
- Acting for eBay in eBay v L’Oreal Trade mark litigation matter before the High Court of London
- Acting for a global chemical company in a commercial arbitration dispute involving a licensee in the Middle East
- Acting for a major online retailer advising on various European intellectual property issues arising out of services provided by the retailer to its customers
- Acting for and advising Research In Motion on various patent related matters within Europe
- Acting for a major aluminum recycling company in a patent litigation matter in England
- Advising major financial institutions on intellectual property issues arising out financial instruments
- Acting for a major Saudi company in an arbitration relating to the construction of a chemical plant in Saudi
- Advising a Middle East telecoms company on its global branding strategy
- Advising a well known electronics manufacturer on issues arising out of its advertising campaigns including intellectual property and regulatory matters
- Negotiating and drafting channel provision agreements for a major media company in the UK
- Negotiation of a Joint Venture agreement on behalf of a South African company to establish a private medical insurance company in the PRC
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "The Use of Norwich Pharmacal Orders to Identify Online Infringers-An Old Remedy Updated for Modern Times" co-author, Entertainment Law Review, May 2013.
- "UK ISPs begin blocking piracy sites", quoted, World Intellectual Property Review, May 21, 2013.
- "Top 10 Things You Must Consider when Doing Business in High Growth Markets: Pitfalls You can Encounter and Strategies to Overcome Them" speaker, 8th Corporate Counsel & Corporate Compliance, April 2013.
- "The times they are a-changin’" co-author, Intellectual Property magazine, April 2013.
- "What the EU and Japan trade talks mean for IP", quoted, World Intellectual Property Review, March 25, 2013.
- "European Commission Consults on Revised Technology Transfer Block Exemption," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, February 2013.
- "Fourth Annual INTERAction IP Law Update," chair, Edwards Wildman, London, January 2013.
- "European Court developments on the protection of computer software," speaker, Edwards Wildman INTERAction Technology Law Update, London, October 2012.
- “Customers Can Resell Copies of Downloaded Software; Developers Can Try To Stop Them", co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, July 2012.
- "Entitlement to Injunctions to Patents", speaker, IBC Legal’s 2nd Annual IP Dispute Resolution Conference, June 28, 2012.
- "SAS Disarmed by Uncertain EU Ruling in SAS Institute Inc v. World Programming Ltd", co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, May 2012. This advisory has also appeared in IT Law Today Vol. 20, No. 6, June 2012 and was quoted in an article by Society for Computers and Law under the Expert Comment section.
- "Court Considers Scope of Copyright Protection for Computer Software", quoted, Lexus Nexus, May 2012
- “The Advocate General considers the principle of exhaustion of rights in downloaded software", co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, April 2012. This advisory has also appeared in IT Law Today, Vol. 20, No. 6, June 2012.
- “Branded Content, Advertiser-Funded Programming and Product Placement", speaker, IBC Legal’s 2nd Annual Advertising & Marketing Law 2012, London, UK 2012.
- "Court of Justice Rules a Database of Football Fixture Lists does not Attract Copyright Protection: Football Dataco & Others v Yahoo & Others", co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, March 2012.
- “European Commission Kicks Off Technology Transfer Block Exemption Consultation Process”, co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, December 2011.
- “A Database of Fixture Lists Does Not Benefit from Copyright Protection says Attorney General Mengozzi: Football Dataco v Yahoo”, co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, December 2011.
- "Advocate General Bot's Opinion on Copyright Protection Afforded to Computer Programs", author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, November 2009.
- "The Impact of the Woolf Reforms in the UK", (2009).
- "Free Speech in Tangled Web", Dow Jones v Gutnick - cover story, Hong Kong Lawyer (2005).
- "Brand New Day", Trademark World, (2003).
Before Edwards Wildman
After qualification, Akash was an in-house IP lawyer with the BBC in London. Immediately prior to joining Edwards Wildman, he spent over ten years in the IP litigation department of Allen & Overy LLP in their Hong Kong and London offices, where he was most recently of Counsel.
Besides Edwards Wildman
In his spare time, Akash likes to play golf, practice guitar and go to indie music concerts.