Helaine Heydemann is a member of the Healthcare and Litigation practices at Edwards Wildman. She has extensive career experience litigating matters in state and federal court, and before administrative agencies, including a broad range of health care, tort, professional liability, products, insurance, and employment matters. Her practice includes advising clients on business practices to avoid litigation; she also counsels clients on employment issues, hospital and medical staff issues, medical ethics issues, risk management, compliance and contracts. Helaine represents a variety of health care entities, including medical practices, physicians, surgicenters, and hospitals in a variety of health care, regulatory, and business issues. She regularly represents licensed professionals at every stage of proceedings pending before the Illinois Department of Professional and Financial Regulation. Helaine was selected by a recent survey of her peers conducted by the Law Bulletin Publishing Company as a “Leading Lawyer” in Health Law. She has an AV-Preeminent Peer Review Rating by Martindale Hubbell.
- Primary trial counsel responsible for defense of hundreds of professional liability lawsuits. In one unusual professional liability case, Helaine successfully represented a physician defendant in a matter involving 136 separate plaintiffs all claiming same type of alleged physician misconduct; defeated plaintiffs’ motions for class certification and for joinder of claims. The case involved many unique strategic and evidentiary issues as the defendant had limited coverage; creative strategies for resolution and focused negotiation with multiple plaintiff counsels resulted in dismissal of all cases.
- Has successfully litigated administrative review cases in circuit court
- Extensive experience representing licensed professionals in disciplinary proceedings and investigations by State of Illinois administrative agencies including the Illinois Department of Public Aid, and the Illinois Department of Professional and Financial Regulation. In over 100 matters, has successfully represented licensed professionals at all stages of departmental proceedings from investigation through hearing. These matters have involved physicians, podiatrists, pharmacies, dentists, oral surgeons, physicians’ assistants, rehabilitation professionals’ nurses, clinical social workers, licensed clinical psychologists, optometrists, opticians, professional engineers, and architects.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended a wide variety of tort claims involving individuals and corporations, including business torts, defamation, disability insurance claims, employment matters
- Miceikis v. Field, 37 Ill.App. 3d 763, 347 N.E.2d 320; (1976) LEXIS 2251 (articulating definition of informed consent under Illinois law)
Besides Edwards Wildman
Helaine was an avid Girl Scout and competitive ice skater growing up in Long Beach, California. She maintains her interest in outdoor activities; she especially enjoys winter sports and bicycling with her husband and two daughters.