Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP
Tel +44 (0) 20 7556 4442
Fax +44 (0) 20 7716 3825
Ellen is an Associate in the Intellectual Property department, specialising in IP/IT litigation.
- Ellen spent three years working on behalf of an industry association aimed at enforcing its members copyright by preventing software piracy and use of unlicensed copies of its members software. Following reviews of software audits provided by the ‘target’ companies, Ellen successfully negotiated and drafted numerous settlement agreements in addition to encouraging compliance purchases of the infringed software.
- Ellen played a major role working for a large software development company in a dispute with one of its customers for alleged breach of contract.
- Ellen successfully negotiated an acceptable commercial agreement relating to a dispute over the provision of source code by a sub-contracted software developer to a marketing company.
- Ellen led a team of trainee solicitors in a high volume e-disclosure exercise as part of extensive patent and confidential information litigation.
- Ellen negotiated terms on which several well-known sports brands can manufacture products so as not to infringe the client's rights and registered trade marks.
- Ellen has delivered detailed pre-publication defamation advice to a number of clients to avoid any defamation claims being brought against them.
- As well as contentious experience, Ellen understands the commercial needs of her clients having spent five months on secondment to a multinational pharmaceutical company as part of her training contract, where she drafted and negotiated procurement contracts, licensing agreements, outsourcing agreements and clinical trial agreements.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "New security for sub-licensees?" co-author, The In-House Lawyer, April 2013.
- "Out of the frying pan: an analysis of implied terms in bespoke design contracts", co-author, The In-House Lawyer, November 2012.
- "English court has jurisdiction to hear pan-European declarations of non-infringement", co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, November 2012.
- "A lot of hot air?", co-author, Lexology, November 2012.
- "Location of the Central Division of the Unified Patent Court agreed", co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, July 2012.
- "No confusion – less joy for trade mark owners", co-author, Intellectual Asset Management, March/April 2009.
Before Edwards Wildman
Prior to joining the firm in January 2012, Ellen trained and qualified at a major City IP law firm in London where she spent four years specialising in Commercial and IP/IT litigation. As part of her undergraduate law degree at the University of Nottingham, Ellen spent a year studying law on exchange at the University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.
Besides Edwards Wildman
In her spare time Ellen enjoys all aspects of the arts and spending time with friends and family.
A keen traveller, Ellen has spent time in Asia, Australia, Europe and North America.