Geoff joined Edwards Wildman in 2012 and is a specialist litigator highly experienced in major IT disputes. Geoff partners with clients to understand their business better and to help them achieve their commercial objectives. This can involve risk evaluation and managing problem contracts behind the scenes or settling disputes to avoid proceedings and to preserve working relationships. Geoff has particular experience in dispute resolution procedures, including mediation, early neutral evaluation and arbitration.
Sometimes proceedings cannot be avoided. Geoff led the team in what Computer Weekly called, at the time, one of the longest running IT trials in the Technology and Construction Court against National Air Traffic Services Ltd. He continues to lead on significant disputes for large international IT companies. He and his team are currently advising a provider under the £12bn NHS National Programme for IT. Chambers notes that “Geoff Mendelsohn impresses clients with his ability to deal with difficult cases in a calm and competent way” and he appeared in the Legal 500 as “a genuine contentious heavyweight as demonstrated by his representation on high value disputes”.
- During an exit process, advised CSC as the new service provider on a successful strategy and defence of proceedings to challenge the current service provider for failing to transfer information and for charging in excess of £20m for it.
- Acted for a major international IT company on a £150m tax credits dispute.
- Acted for international IT company in relation to claims for fraud carried out against a major bank.
- Acted for major international IT company in relation to disputes arising out of system to maintain customers' electronic accounts.
- Acted for major international IT company on £43m dispute regarding maintenance and support services for oyster card transport network.
- Acted for joint venture in £300m dispute against national corporation regarding supply and implementation of broadcasting retrieval system.
- Led the litigation team in the successful defence of a £6m disaster recovery claim on behalf of EDS in the commercial court.
- Advised an international telecomms company on a multi–million pound settlement and variation agreement regarding the withdrawal of maintenance for inherited software and the installation of the company’s latest software.
- Acted for international IT company in dispute regarding implementation of a management system for healthcare workers and secured 3 way settlement between customer, supplier and subcontractor.
- Acted for specialist IT supplier in multi–million pound dispute regarding supply, installation and implementation of desktop services for major insurance supplier.
- Acted successfully for major IT services supplier on the wrongful termination of a national healthcare system email contract, resulting in payment of termination for convenience sum.
- Acted for IT services supplier on a Court services outsourcing contract to resolve dispute and for contract to run remainder of its term.
Before Edwards Wildman
Geoff was a partner in a national firm and in a firm in the Thames Valley where he worked on resolving disputes involving some of the largest IT contracts in the UK. He then moved to Nabarro to lead the contentious IT team.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Geoff is married to Kathryn and they live in Harpenden with their two young boys. Geoff enjoys classic cars, fell running and skiing and is looking forward to taking these up again with the boys soon.