Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
Jon is often asked to speak at various conferences and seminars on a variety of private equity and venture capital related topics including life science investing; early stage investments, venture finance and IP-based start-ups, structuring and valuation considerations in VC investments, and capital raising and compensation planning for Biotech executives.
Jon and partner Les Croland co-authored the article "Scripps Is Catalyst for Florida's Life Sciences Industry" which appeared in the Venture Capital Journal
In 2002, Jon's article, "Down Rounds - To Succeed You Must Survive," was published in London in Venture Capital 2002
(Euromoney Institutional Investor) and in the United States in The Journal of BioLaw & Business.
In addition, Jon's article entitled "Structuring Venture Capital Investments" has been published in Pratt's Guide to Venture Capital Sources
for seven consecutive years.
Jon's recent speaking engagements include:
- "Fund Formation Issues in Latin America," speaker, 2010 Americas Venture Capital Conference - Latin America: The New Mainstream, Miami, FL, December 2011.
- Early-Stage Venture Investing: How to meet investors, pitch them, and what it really takes to get them to write you a check!, panelist, Coral Gables, FL, February 25, 2010.
- "The Role of Directors in Venture-Backed Companies", panelist, National Association of Corporate Directors program, Miami, FL, May, 2008.
- "Value Creation in Venture Investing; The Realities", panel presentation, Thunderbird School of Management Global Private Equity Conference, Phoenix, AZ, April, 2008.
- "Valuations in Recovering," panel moderator, Florida Venture Capital Conference, Naples, FL, February 2012.
- "Convergence: Private Equity meets the Hedge Fund", panel presentation, Thunderbird School of Management Global Private Equity Conference, Phoenix, AZ, March, 2007.
- "Advising Start Ups and Entrepreneurs," panel moderator, AeA Venture Conference, Roswell, GA, March 2005.
Before Edwards Wildman
Jon is a "lifer" at the Firm, having joined the Providence office immediately after his graduation from Harvard Law School in 1971. He has been deeply involved in the Firm's strategy and expansion, serving nearly 20 years on the Firm's management committee, founding the Firm's Palm Beach office in 1981 and the Ft. Lauderdale office in 2001 and organizing and leading the Firm's Private Equity Practice Group for over a decade until 2002.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Jon is a Director and Founder of New World Angels, Inc., a Florida-focused angel investment group, as well as a member of a Limited Partner Advisory Board of an established venture capital fund.
Jon has been active in a number of charitable and civic organizations over the years. He currently serves on the Board of Trustees of the Town of Palm Beach United Way (where he has served as Vice Chair, Treasurer and Campaign Chair) and the Paragon Foundation of Palm Beach County, Inc., (http://www.paragonpbc.org/index.html
), a non-profit fund created to invest in minority-owned enterprises in Palm Beach County. When not enjoying time with his grandchildren, Jon devotes his energy to golf, Asian/Latin fusion cooking and fly-fishing. He has also raised a French Brittany puppy, Lily, to be a first-class upland bird dog.