Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP
Matthew R. Hillery focuses his practice on planning for the estate, gift, generation-skipping and income taxes; the preparation of sophisticated estate planning documents; and the administration of trusts and estates. He has worked on matters for clients ranging from U.S. and foreign individuals (including business owners, investors, professional athletes and trust beneficiaries), family-owned businesses and large bank and trust companies. Matt also has experience with the formation and administration of private foundations and charitable trusts and the preparation of charitable gift planning instruments for institutional and individual clients.
While at Harvard Law School, Matt was a research assistant for Professor Philip Heymann. Matt also served on the articles selection committee for the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "Developing a High Impact Board," presenter, The NonProfit HelpDesk, June 14, 2013.
- "The Role of Lifetime Gifts in Estate Planning," presenter, Lorman Education Services, February 26, 2013.
- "Will and Trust Drafting Techniques: Preliminary Matters; Drafting the Will," faculty member, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, February 21, 2013, February 23, 2012, February 24, 2011, February 25, 2010, February 26, 2009, February 28, 2008 and March 1, 2007.
- "Congress Passes Sweeping Tax Law Changes," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, January 2013.
- "Basic Estate Plan Documents," presenter, Boston Bar Association's Trust & Estates Section, November 7, 2012.
- "Use It or Lose It? Ways to Maximize Your Federal Gift Tax Exemption Before 2013," panelist, Harvard Law School, Fall 2012 Alumni Reunion, October 27, 2012.
- "The Season of Continued Tax Uncertainty," co-author, Edward Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, August 3, 2012.
- "Nurturing Multigenerational Philanthropy," speaker, New York Society of Security Analysts 4th Annual Family Office Conference, May 31, 2012.
- "Comprehensive Estate Planning: Techniques and Tweaks Under the New MUPC," speaker, Suffolk University Law School, December 6, 2011.
- "Basic Estate Plan Documents," presenter, Boston Bar Association's Trusts & Estates Section, November 2, 2011.
- "Taxes and Planning During Your U.S. Assignment" - Estate planning presentation before foreign based investment bank, October 4, 2011.
- "A Primer on International Estate Planning," speaker, live teleconference presented by Lorman Education Services, September 14, 2011.
- "Taxpayer-Friendly Guidance for US Taxpayers Residing in United Kingdom," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP Client Advisory, August 15, 2011.
- "New Act Allows for Creation of Trusts for the Care of Animals," author, Boston Bar Association's Trusts & Estates Section, January 11, 2011.
- "A Primer on International Estate Planning," speaker, live teleconference presented by Lorman Education Services, September 15, 2010 and February 4, 2010.
- "Trusts & Estates Year in Review 2010," faculty member, Boston Bar Association, June 16, 2010.
- "Foreign Trusts: U.S. Income Tax Considerations," speaker, Boston Bar Association, February 11, 2010.
- "Administration of Trusts under the Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code," The New Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code, author, Boston Bar Association, 2009.
- "Changes to the Exclusion of Gain on the Sale of Personal Residence," author, Boston Bar Association Newsletter - Trusts & Estates Section, Fall 2008.
- "Termination of the Trust," Understanding and Using Trusts, author of 2008 and co-author of 2005 supplements, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2008 and 2005.
- "MCLE's Charitable Giving Conference 2007," faculty member and co-author, November 13, 2007.
- "Federal Developments," co-author, Boston Bar Association's Trusts & Estates Year in Review 2005, 2005.