Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP
Stanley Keller is a nationally recognized corporate and securities lawyer. During his many years of practice, Stan has advised clients ranging from emerging companies to industry leaders, such as TECO Energy, Parametric Technology, Lamar Advertising, Helix Technology and Genzyme. While his practice has encompassed most areas of corporate and securities laws, Stan has focused on:
In addition to his client work, Stan has had an active role in the development of corporate and securities laws through leadership positions in the American Bar Association (ABA) and other professional organizations, and through his writings and frequent speaking engagements:
- Stan chaired the ABA’s Committee on Federal Regulation of Securities during the height of the Sarbanes-Oxley era, and in that capacity had responsibility for interacting on behalf of the private bar with the SEC, other governmental officials and the stock exchanges.
- Stan is co-chair of the Task Force that drafted the new Massachusetts Business Corporation Law, and chaired the Boston Bar Association’s Business Law Section and Corporation Law Committee.
- Stan, as a member of the TriBar Opinion Committee, was the reporter for the Committee's recent Remedies Opinion Report.
- Stan lectures widely for continuing legal education organizations, and has written and edited many articles and treatises on corporate and securities law matters, including recently serving as the co-chair of the Practising Law Institute’s (PLI) Understanding the New Securities Offering Reform Rules.
- From 2007 to 2010 Stan served as Independent Consultant and Monitor of the City of San Diego to oversee its compliance with its SEC enforcement order.
- For over a decade, Stan has been included in the nationally recognized Best Lawyers in America for the categories of Corporate Law and Corporate Governance and Compliance Law.
- Listed as leading lawyer in his field by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
- Listed among the world’s leading corporate Governance and Capital Markets lawyers by Euromoney Legal Media Group.
- Recognized in Boston Magazine as a “Massachusetts Super Lawyer” in securities and corporate finance from 2004-2008.
- Member of the ABA Task Force on Attorney-Client Privilege.
- Special adviser to the ABA Task Force on Corporate Responsibility.
- Special adviser and reporter to the ABA Task Force on SEC Attorney Conduct Rules.
- Former Chair of the ABA Audit Response Committee.
- Chair of the ABA Legal Opinions Committee.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
Speaker at 29th Annual Federal Securities Institute, Coconut Grove, Florida, February 16 - 17, 2011.
Co-Chair, 42nd Annual Institute on Securities Regulation, New York, New York, November 10 - 12, 2010.
Speaker at 28th Annual Federal Securities Institute, Coral Gables, Florida, February 11, 2010.
Co-Chair, 40th Annual Institute on Securities Regulations, New York, New York, November 12 - 14, 2008.
Presenter at What The Subprime/Credit Crisis Means For Your Company webinar presented by the ACC’s Corporate & Securities Law Committee, Financial Services Committee and Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP, May 8, 2008.
"Foreign Corrupt Practices Act - Is Your Company at Risk?" speaker, Boston, Massachusetts, November 15, 2007.
- Challenges Facing Boards of Directors: Key Issues in SEC Disclosure & Enforcement, presented by Directors Roundtable, October 11, 2007.
- "SEC Provides Private/Public Offering Integration Guidance," author, INSIGHTS, September, 2007.
- "Unblocking Clogged PIPEs: SEC Focuses on Availability of Rule 415," co-author, Insights, May 1, 2007.
- PLI 38th Annual Institute on Securities Regulation, November 9, 2006.
- Thompson Annual Proxy Statement and Annual Reporting Conference, December 6, 2005.
- PLI Annual Securities Law Institute, November 4, 2005.
- New England School of Law Program on Director Responsibility under the New Massachusetts Business Corporation Act, November 1, 2005.
- MBA Program on Corporate Law Developments, October 20, 2005.
- AON Conference on Loss Prevention, October 19, 2005.
- ALI/ABA Sarbanes Oxley Institute, October 6, 2005.
- MCLE Business and Securities Law Conference, September 28, 2005.
- Understanding the New Securities Offering Rules, PLI, Co‑Chair, August 2005.
- ALI/ABA Postgraduate Securities Course, Chair, July 7-9, 2005.
- Thompson/Glasser, SEC Hot Topics, May 23, 2005.
- PLI What Lawyers Need to Know about Delaware Law, May 11, 2005.
- Florida Directors’ Institute (panel moderator), March 18, 2005.
- ABA-CLE Understanding the New 8-K Reporting Requirements (program moderator), March 16, 2005.
- SIA Capital Markets Conference (participant), March 3, 2005.
- 23rd Annual Institute on Federal Securities (panel moderator), February 17-18, 2005.
- ABA-CLE Audit Response Letters in the New Environment (program chair), January 27, 2005.
- 32nd Annual Securities Regulation Institute (panel moderator), January 19-21, 2005.
- 26th Annual Institute on Critical Corporate, Disclosure and Governance Issues and the Proxy Process (participant), December 9-10, 2004.
- PLI 36th Annual Institute on Securities Regulation (participant), November 11‑13, 2004.
- ALI-ABA 31st Annual Postgraduate Course in Federal Securities Law (panel moderator), August 26-28, 2004.
- SEC “Hot Topics” Institute, Spring 2004 (participant), June 7, 2004.
- The New Disclosure & Corporate Governance Regime – What Every Corporate & Securities Lawyer Must Know Now, PLI, Chair, October 2002.
- Disclosure and Other Lessons Learned After Enron – What You Need to Know Now to File Your 10-K and Other Forms, PLI, Chair, March 2002.
- Co-Author, Corporate Director's Guidebook, Fifth Edition, published by the ABA Committee on Corporate Laws (2007).
- Co-Editor, The Practitioner’s Guide to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, published by the ABA (2004).
- Co-Author, Massachusetts Limited Liability Company Forms and Practice Manual, published by Data Trace Publishing Co. (1996).
- Co-Editor, International Securities Law Handbooks, published by Graham & Trotman Limited (1995).
- Editor, Massachusetts Business Lawyers, a three-volume treatise published by MCLE (1991).
"A Streamlined Form of Closing Opinion," co-author, Boston Bar Journal, January/February 2006.
“Searching Google for Meaning: Equity Compensation Pitfalls and a Changed Climate for Lawyer Responsibility,” INSIGHTS, August 2005.
“The Meaning of the Titan 21(a) Report. New Disclosure Practices for Contractual Representations,” INSIGHTS, June 2005.
“The New Form 8-K Disclosure Requirements: Q&As,” ABA The Securities Reporter, Volume 10, Issue 1, Spring 2005.