Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP
Daryl Lapp is a litigator whose work principally involves the defense of colleges, universities and independent schools against employment discrimination, personal injury, civil rights, breach of contract, and other claims. Mr. Lapp regularly advises education clients outside of litigation, principally on issues relating to faculty and staff employment matters; at-risk students; compliance with federal and state anti-discrimination, privacy, campus security and other laws; internal investigations and disciplinary proceedings; and institutional governance. Mr. Lapp has been listed in the area of Education Law by The Best Lawyers in America
since 2007. In addition to his education practice, Mr. Lapp regularly handles other litigation matters including in particular the defense of product liability claims, as well as commercial disputes. He is Co-Chair of the firm's Litigation Department.
- Successfully defended Harvard University in a three-week jury trial involving claims of gender discrimination and retaliation; also defeated plaintiff's appeal.
- Successfully defended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in a two-week jury trial involving claims of disability discrimination.
- Successfully defended the Town of Spencer in a three-week jury trial involving civil rights and defamation claims arising from the Town's replacement of much of its police force.
- Successfully defended the Town of Lexington against a constitutional challenge to the Town's regulations for use of its historic Battle Green for expressive purposes.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "Supreme court gay marriage hearings: Doma and Proposition 8 go on trial," quoted, The Guardian, March 26, 2013.
- "Corporations join legal challenge to Defense of Marriage Act," quoted, West Fair Communications, March 7, 2013.
- "To Be or Not to Be; The Confidentiality Question in College Health, Ethical, Clinical & Legal Considerations," presenter at New England College of Health Association 2012: Politics, Culture & the Road that Lies Ahead, Portland, ME, November 7-9, 2012.
- "Legal Issues in Student Housing," presenter at Higher Education Real Estate Lawyers (HEREL) Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO, September 16, 2011.
- "321,391 Nonprofits Scheduled to Lose Their Tax Exemption,” co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Client Advisory, September 2010.
- "The New Massachusetts Anti-Bullying Law: What it Means for Private Schools," author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Client Advisory, May 2010.
- "Students Who Are a Danger to Self or Others: The Legal Case from the Perspective of Institutions of Higher Education," presenter at Washington & Lee University School of Law symposium "Violence on Campus," November 6, 2009.
- "Student Privacy Issues," presenter at Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) symposium Legal Issues in Higher Education, 2009, 2010.
- "Student Privacy Issues," chapter author, MCLE's College and University Law Manual, 2009.
- "College and University Liability for Student Deaths and Injuries," co-author, Boston Bar Journal, January/February 2008 edition.
"Campus Security Risks: What the Law Requires," presented web seminar hosted by Lexington Insurance Company and AIG Higher Education Risk Solutions, June 14, 2007.
"Introduction to FERPA: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act," presenter at Northeast Association of College Admission Counselors (NEACAC) Summer Institute, Burlington, VT, July 30, 2007.
"Campus Security and Selected Student Affairs Issues," presenter at Nutmeg Group Risk Management Forum, Wallingford, CT, May 23, 2007.
"Federal Compliance Issues for Colleges and Universities," presenter at University Risk Management & Insurance Association (URMIA) conference, Seekonk, MA, April 12, 2007.
"Responding to Reports of Hazing, Sexual Assault, or Inappropriate Sexual Activity Involving Students," moderator and presenter, EAPD Seminar, Providence, Rhode Island, November 2, 2006.
"At-Risk Students and Student Background Checks," presenter at National Association of Graduate Schools Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, Dec. 6, 2006.
"Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)," presenter at Northeast Association for College Admission Counseling (NEACAC) conference, Devens, MA, Sept. 22, 2006.
Besides Edwards Wildman
- Greater Boston Legal Services: A Board member since 1996, Mr. Lapp currently serves as President and a member of the Executive Committee.
- Willow Hill School: Trustee since 2011.