Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP
Geoff is a member of the Insurance and Reinsurance Department in the Hartford office of Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP. He focuses his practice on advising clients in the insurance and financial services industries on general corporate law, insurance regulatory and transactional matters.
- Geoff has assisted clients with the merger and acquisition of insurance companies, insurance agencies and other business entities.
- Geoff has helped insurance companies with initial entity formation, expansion throughout the United States and its territories (such as Guam) in both the admitted and surplus lines markets, and adding lines of business to their license.
- He has advised domestic and non-U.S. clients on all aspects of U.S. insurance regulation and corporate governance.
- He has assisted insurance companies with product drafting, rate and form filings in all U.S. jurisdictions, and responding to objections from regulators.
- Geoff has assisted public pension funds in connection with investments in hedge funds, private equity funds and venture capital funds.
- Geoff has helped clients develop websites and advertising materials that comply with insurance laws.
- He has assisted national and international clients with restructuring their insurance companies and agencies.
- Geoff has conducted due diligence and compliance reviews for insurance agencies with special attention to broker compensation and fiduciary duty issues.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
“2010 Annual Survey – Excess, Surplus Lines and Reinsurance,” co-author, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Winter 2011 (Vol. 46-2) (developments in excess insurance).
- "Global insurance regulation - levelling the playing field," co-author, International Bar Association Insurance Newsletter, September 2008.
- "Supreme Court rulings on the Fair Credit Reporting Act will impact insurance underwriting practices," author, International Bar Association Insurance Newsletter, September 2007.
- "Hurricane Bill to Have Dramatic Impact on Florida Insurance Market," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Regulatory Update, February 2007.
Before Edwards Wildman
During law school, Geoff was a Managing Editor of Student Works for the Villanova Sports & Entertainment Journal
, and his article Stern Penalties: How the Federal Communications Commission and Congress Look to Crackdown on Indecent Broadcasting
was published in Volume XIII. In his third year, Geoff was extern for United States Bankruptcy Court Judge Kevin J. Carey in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and participated in Villanova’s Civil Justice Clinic where he represented low-income clients in a range of civil legal matters. Geoff also spent a summer working for the New York State Attorney General’s Office in New York City.
Besides Edwards Wildman
During his free time, Geoff enjoys running, skiing and spending time with his family, friends and dog.