Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP
Tel +44 (0) 20 7556 4434
Fax +44 (0) 20 7716 3672
Colin was head of the London litigation practice for 15 years and senior partner of D J Freeman from 1996 to 2001. He has experience in a wide range of major commercial litigation, particularly with a heavy financial or accounting content. These include disputes between shareholders and claims against professional advisers.
Colin was listed in 'The Guide to the World's Leading Litigation Lawyers, 2007', which is compiled through nominations and exhaustive peer-review surveys.
Colin has recently been named as a leader in the field of Commercial Litigation for his practice by the legal directory UK Legal Experts 2009
- Colin acts for a number of foreign governments in their efforts to recover the proceeds of corruption and stolen funds from former leaders, politicians and civil servants. He also advises US companies on European issues arising from the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Colin acted in the Metall and Rohstoff v Donaldson, Lufkin v Jenrette case (1989), a leading authority on jurisdictional issues.
- Colin has advised insolvency practitioners on issues arising from bankruptcies in the financial sector, particularly banks and investment management companies, including acting on major international insolvencies.
- He has acted for parties facing enforcement proceedings by the UK Financial Services Authority as well as for lawyers and accountants in proceedings before their respective professional disciplinary tribunals.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "Anti-Corruption Case Study," moderator, Corporate Counsel Forum of the International Bar Association, Paris, February 2009.
- "Caribbean and The Americas," speaker, Advanced Financial Crime Prevention Symposium and Training Course, Antigua, February 2009.
- "The Awakening Giant of Anti-Corruption Enforcement," speaker, International Bar Association, Paris, April 2008.
- "Foreign Corrupt Practices Act - Is Your Company at Risk?," speaker, Boston, Massachusetts, November 15, 2007.
- "World Bank Workshop on Asset Recovery," speaker, Dhaka, Bangladesh, July 2007.
- "Recovering the Proceeds of Fraud," presenter, Einstein Network Law Channel, 2007.
- "Commonwealth Secretariat Workshop on Asset Recovery," speaker, Abuja, Nigeria, January 2007.
- "Recovering Assets: A Practical Case Study," speaker, Fraud World, September 2006.
- "Is the UK a Haven for Money Laundering," interviewed by Fran Abrams for BBC Radio File on 4, October 2006.
- "Legal Professional Privilege," speaker, New York State Bar Association, September 2005.
- "The Awakening Giant of Anti-Corruption Enforcement," speaker, International Bar Association, Paris, April 2004.
Before Edwards Wildman
Colin trained with and was a partner in the Firm for over 30 years before becoming a consultant.
Besides Edwards Wildman
When not enjoying the company of his family, Colin can usually be found at some sporting event, probably watching Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium or cricket at Lord's.