Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP
Tel +44 (0) 20 7556 4527
Fax +44 (0) 20 7716 3705
Mark became a partner in the Insurance and Reinsurance Department of the firm in May 2003. He has extensive experience in disputes on coverage and policy construction in the property and casualty business and leads the firm's aviation and aerospace group.
Mark has a broad insurance and reinsurance practice and has represented insurers and reinsurers in several arbitrations, Commercial Court litigation and in ADR since qualification in 1993. The Legal 500 describe Mark as "having an excellent reputation in coverage disputes". The Chambers Guide refers to Mark combining "outstanding knowledge of insurance and reinsurance with aviation" and being "extremely canny and completely charming". Mark's wide experience over decades in the insurance and reinsurance business includes aviation, directors' and officers' insurance, financial institutions professional indemnity, first property damage and business interruption , contingent business interruption, upstream energy/offshore risks, accident and health business including US workers' comp and trade credit and political risk. Mark also has experience of multi-party mediation. His clients include many leading names in the insurance and reinsurance markets.
Mark is listed in the current edition of the Legal Media Group Guides to the World's Leading Lawyers directory of leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers. Mark is additionally named as a leader in the field of aviation by the established legal directory UK Legal Experts. Mark is also individually ranked in the current edition of Chambers & Partners Guides to the World's Leading Lawyers (UK) in two categories: Insurance: General Claims and Aviation: Insurance and Litigation. Chambers go on to quote Mark as being "'exceptionally good at assessing the client's position' and staying focused on their goals". The listings for all of these publications are based on a thorough and independent research process.
Mark is a member of the Aviation Insurance Association, the Professional Liability Underwriters Society, the London Court of International Arbitration, and in 2011 he joined the International Committee of ARIAS US.
- Represented Lloyd's syndicates in several arbitrations with reinsurers on aviation excess of loss policies.
- Representing excess insurers on financial institutions professional indemnity exposures.
- Representing reinsurers on first party property damage claims in World Trade Centre Disputes.
- Representing facultative reinsurers in the High Court Judgment in Gard Marine v Lloyd's Syndicate 788.
- Protected the insurer's interests in Strand Insurance Company v Enterprise Oil  1 Lloyd's Rep 500.
- Defending the issuing carriers of a reinsurance pool in several arbitrations regarding personal accident and US workers comp losses.
- Acting for the reinsurers on coverage issues arising out of the loss of aircraft on 9/11.
- Advising a market leader on coverage issues under a stockbroker's errors and omissions policy.
- Representing insurers in various Bermuda form liability coverage disputes.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "Sewage Cruise Suits Least Of Carnival's Coverage Worries," quoted, Law360, February 19, 2013.
- "Directors and Officers Insurance: An International Perspective," panelist, Edwards Wildman Seminar, February 5, 2013.
- "Final AF447 report will reinforce Air France’s conviction to subrogate," quoted, Insurance Day, July 12, 2012.
- "Directors and Officers Insurance: An International Perspective," panelist, Edwards Wildman Palmer seminar, February 7, 2012.
- "Emerging Patterns in Financial Institution Claims," panelist, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge seminar, November 2, 2010.
- "Eruptions and Disruption But No Indemnification," Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge Insurance and Reinsurance Review, June 2010.
- "Relationship Challenges for General Counsel: Internal & External," speaker, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge and The Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) Greater New York Chapter, June 9, 2009.
- "The Sub Prime Mess: Who Made It, and What Now," speaker, 21st Annual Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) International Conference, San Francisco, California, November 5, 2008.
- "The doctrine of negligent entrustment under US State law and aviation claims control clauses," speaker, to aviation reinsurers, July and October 2008.
- "The Sub Prime Mess: Who Made It, and What Now," speaker (panel), PLUS (Professional Liability Underwriting Society) International Conference, San Francisco, 5-7 November 2008.
- "Inspection of Records," speaker, Reinsurance Claims Management, London, May 13, 2008.
- "Reinsurance Issues in the UK," speaker, Re Claims Conference of the Reinsurance Association of America in September 2007.
- "Directors' and Officers Insurance," speaker, Aviation Insurance Association, May 2006.
- Mark is interviewed regularly by the Einstein television network channel on aviation and insurance matters.
- Mark has been published regularly in the insurance industry and legal press.
Before Edwards Wildman
Mark qualified at Kendall Freeman in London where he became a partner.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Mark enjoys flying, trip-planning and golf. He lives in London and is married with children.
Mark is involved in various Pro Bono activities:
- Mentoring new businesses through the TrainE organisation.
- Advises an international charity providing Emergency First Aid Medical Care.