Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP
Tel +44 (0) 20 7556 4666
Fax +44 (0) 20 7353 7377
Nathan Hull joined the firm as a trainee in September 2005, qualifying into the insurance/reinsurance litigation team in October 2007. He focuses on all types of insurance and reinsurance. Nathan's experience includes insurance coverage disputes (including casualty, healthcare, product liability, political risks, D&O and property), reinsurance disputes, disputes involving captives, and arbitration, commercial court and chancery division litigation. Nathan appears in the 2010 edition of The Legal 500 (UK) and is described as a "responsive, knowledgeable and persistent litigator".
Nathan's notable experience includes acting in:
- Several Bermuda Form arbitrations concerning insurance coverage for catastrophic healthcare and product liabilities. These disputes have concerned New York law and also other US state laws.
- Arbitrations concerning excess of loss, quota share and surplus reinsurance treaties, involving parties in the US, France and Bermuda.
- High Court (Chancery Division) proceedings involving eight parties in various jurisdictions concerning the parties' deposits of Funds at Lloyd's in support of the underwriting obligations of a Lloyd's corporate member.
- Commercial Court proceedings concerning the construction of the rules of an insurance mutual.
- Disputes and commercial matters during a secondment to the in-house legal group of one of the firm's major commercial clients.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "The Bermuda Form – a fresh perspective?" author, BILA Journal Issue 125, October 2012 (an extended review of “The Bermuda Form, interpretation and dispute resolution of excess liability insurance” authors: David Scorey, Richard Geddes and Chris Harris).
- "After Japan: The Causation Dilemma For CBI Coverage," co-author, Risk and Insurance, August 1, 2011.
- "Swept away: Have insureds' chances of recovery under contingent business interruption insurance policies been wiped out post-Tohoku, ask Edwards Wildman Palmer," co-author, Insider Quarterly, Summer 2011.
- "Four Current Hot Cases," co-presenter, Edwards Wildman Palmer Insurance & Reinsurance Seminar, March 2011.
- Court of Appeal Rules that Capture of Ship and its Cargo by Somali Pirates Seeking Payment of Ransom Does Not Constitute "Actual Total Loss"", co-author, Insurance and Reinsurance Review, March 2011.
- Reinsurance of Captives, IRD Autumn Breakfast Workshop, November 2010.
- "Reinsurance of Captives", co-author, Zeitschrift Fuer Versicherungswesen, November 2010.
- "The end of back to back? WASA and AGF v Lexington," co-author, Zeitschrift fuer Versicherungswesen, Issue 60, November 2009.
- WASA and AGF v Lexington, IRD Autumn Breakfast Workshop, November 2009.
- Former City Lawyer Sues Governors of Jesuit School for Record Amount of £5m Alleging Sexual Abuse", co-author, Client Advisory, May 2009.
- "UK Abuse Claims - a New Long-Tail Liability", co-author, Guidance Note, July 2008.
Before Edwards Wildman
Nathan graduated from Manchester University in 2003 with a degree in Law (LLB (Hons)) and in 2004 with a Masters in International Politics. He undertook his LPC at the College of Law, London in 2004/5.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Nathan plays 5-aside football. He also plays squash and regularly skis.
Nathan enjoys socialising and travel and has a keen interest in international politics and current affairs.