Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP
Tel +44 (0) 20 7556 8441
Fax +44 (0) 20 7716 3621
Jo is an Associate in the Competition/Antitrust department and the Commercial Litigation department of Edwards Wildman's London office. She qualified in September 2010 having trained with the Firm for two years. She spent six months on secondment at one of the firm's major oil and gas clients.
She assists merging companies with competition filings and clearances, advises companies on distribution agreements and pricing, defends companies from regulatory investigations, advises on compliance policies and prepares complaints to competition authorities. Her practice areas are wide ranging, however her interests focus on the media, technology and retail sectors.
- Advises a number of clients on competition aspects of supply and distribution agreements, including in the online retail and global games software sectors.
- Advising a third party on the European Commission's investigation of the phase II Universal Music Group/EMI merger.
- Completed the King's College Diploma in EU Competition Law.
- Advising on an ongoing European Commission investigation in the software sector.
- Advising an online retailer on ongoing OFT and European Commission competition investigations.
- Advised a major UK media group on the News Corp/Sky merger review.
- Advised a global conglomerate on the merger control aspects of its exit from a major joint venture.
- Advised United Technologies Corporation on the UK merger control aspects of the sale of its manned guarding business to Securitas.
- Spent six months on a secondment to Shell in their In-house Legal Department where she gained exposure to interesting antitrust issues as well as gaining solid commercial experience.
- Jo has been involved in various pro-bono tasks, including volunteering for Fair Trials International and helping at the Citizens Advice Bureau in the Royal Courts of Justice.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "The UK enforcement agencies," co-author, The Handbook of Competition Enforcement Agencies 2013, May 2013.
- "A Further Twist in the 'Dishonesty' Tale: UK Government Proposes New Defences to the Criminal Cartel Offence," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, October 2012.
- "First Damages Award by the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal in a 'Follow On' Case," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP Client Advisory, July 2012.
- "Bill Setting Out New Competition Law Regime Scrutinised by UK Parliament", co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer Client Advisory, June 2012.
- "UK Overview Chapter", co-author, an extract from the 2012 Handbook of Competition Enforcement Agencies - a Global Competition Review special report.
- "Court of Appeal resists attempt to introduce US-style class actions by the back door", co-author, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, June 2011.
- "Insurers: beware of information exchanges", co-author, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, March 2011.
- "European Court of Justice ruling weakens rights holders' ability to prevent pan-European exploitation of Works", co-author, Edwards Wildman Client Advisory, October 2011.
- "UK Overview Chapter," co-author, an extract from the 2011 Handbook of Competition Enforcement Agencies - a Global Competition Review special report.
- “Games without frontiers,” co-author, Intellectual Property Magazine, March 2011.
- "EU Advocate General Opinion: Cases C-403/08 and C-429/08 - Football Association Premier League Ltd. & Others v. QC Leisure & Others; and Karen Murphy v. Media Protection Services Ltd.," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP Client Advisory, February 2011.
- "England 1; Italy 0 – The Court of Appeal's Judgment in Cooper Tire and Others v. Dow Deutschland and Others" author, Litigation Review, October 2010
- "Counting the Costs: Lord Justice Jackson's Preliminary Report of Costs", author, Litigation Review, August 2009
- "Rome II: Harmonisation of the European law applicable to non-contractual obligations", author, Litigation UK, April 2009
- "Court of Appeal puts notification under the spotlight - Kidsons v Lloyd's Underwriters ", co-author, International Law Office, March 2009.
Recent blog postings authored by Jo can be viewed on www.InsureReinsure.com
Before Edwards Wildman
Jo undertook her Legal Practice Course at Guildford College of Law in 2007. Prior to this, Jo gained her LLB in Law at the University of Birmingham, graduating in 2006.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Jo loves all aspects of the arts, entertaining friends and travels often. She has spent time in Asia, Australia, Europe and South America.