Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP
Tel +44 (0) 20 7556 4458
Fax +44 (0) 20 7716 3636
Rhys joined the firm in September 2008 and qualified into the Insurance and Reinsurance Department in September 2010. During his training contract, Rhys was involved in a number of contentious and non-contentious matters and was also seconded to the Enforcement & Financial Crime Division of the Financial Services Authority.
- Rhys assisted in the successful mediation of a High Court dispute between an insured and its insurer. Rhys has also assisted in the mediation of a complex dispute between a reinsured and its reinsurer.
- Rhys is currently assisting in a number of matters including a dispute involving a political risks/contract frustration policy and a dispute involving the Bermuda Form.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Rhys is a regular contributor to the firm’s Insurance and Reinsurance blog, InsureReinsure.com, blogging on a number of topics, in particular the introduction of a Trade Credit Insurance top-up scheme in the UK.
- "But for" and Business Interruption," co-author, Edwards Wildman Palmer Insurance and Reinsurance Review, September 2010.
"Loyaltrend and Business Interruption Losses in the UK," co-author, Law 360, June 2010.
- "Choice of law when none is chosen: the Rome I Regulation" co-author with James Maton, The In-House Lawyer, April 2009.
Rhys has also presented a number of topics to the Regulatory and Transactional group including a presentation on the execution of documents following the Mercury Tax case.
Before Edwards Wildman
Rhys graduated from Durham University with a B.A. (Hons) in Politics. He then went on to complete the Graduate Diploma in Law and the Legal Practice Course at BPP Law School in London. Rhys also spent a year working on the crude oil trading desk of a multi-national integrated energy company in London.
Besides Edwards Wildman
Rhys is a keen squash player and regularly plays socially at his squash club and more competitively in the Kent Squash League. Besides squash, Rhys is very enthusiastic about football, turning out for the Edwards Wildman Palmer London 5-a-side team, as well as supporting his home club. Rhys also enjoys the many cuisines that can be found in London and the wide variety of events from gigs to exhibitions.