Edwards Wildman Palmer UK LLP
Tel +44 (0) 20 7556 4109
Fax +44 (0) 20 7716 3714
Chika trained with the Firm and qualified as a solicitor into the Firm's Intellectual Property Department in September 2011. She currently advises on all aspects of intellectual property law, with a particular focus on trade marks and copyright. Chika also has considerable experience advising on advertising law matters, including sales promotions, copy clearance and product labelling.
Advertising and Data Protection
• Advising on and drafting documentation for the implementation and advertising of cross-border sales promotions, such as prize draws, competitions and instant-wins, in various media, including on social networking websites.
• Advising on the use of user-generated content and its implications from an advertising and data protection law perspective.
• Advising on actions to take against a competitor's comparative advertising claims.
• Advising on nutrition and health claims and other product claims, such as price comparisons, used on pack or in advertising.
• Advising on and drafting the documentation for the implementation of a customer loyalty scheme.
• Advising on and drafted sponsorship agreements, co-promotion contracts, agreements for sampling services.
• Drafting film and television prop clearances. Intellectual Property
• Advising a leading food company on trade mark prosecution and management of copyright in artwork used for packaging.
• Advising on the strategy for enforcement of intellectual property rights against infringers, including importers of grey goods.
• Drafting claims before the Company Names Tribunal.
• Managing anti-counterfeiting enquiries from UK trading standards and customs authorities across Europe.
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "It's a Party in the U.S. and U.K.': Legal Considerations When Offering A Cross-Border Digital Promotion", co-author, BNA Electronic Commerce & Law Report, March 13, 2013.
- "The Famous, the Unknown, the Deceased", co-author, World Trademark Review, October/November 2012.
- “Heathrow Airport Held to Have Abused its Dominant Position in Rare Standalone Competition Law Action Before the English High Court,” co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP Client Advisory, June 2011.
- "Government Proposes Radical Changes to UK Competition Regime," co-author, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP Client Advisory, March 2011.
Before Edwards Wildman
Chika graduated from the University of Kent at Canterbury with an LLB in English Law and French Law in 2003. She studied European and International Law in France and obtained a maîtrise from the University of Toulouse in 2004 and a Master from University of Orleans in 2005. She completed the Legal Practice Course at BPP in 2008. She worked for 3 years from 2006 to 2009 in the Unilever UK legal department as Assistant Legal Counsel on advertising law and IP matters.